Settlers had lived in the area of Sharon as early as 1824, but it was not until the coming of the railroad in 1873 that families and businesses centralized to this new trade center. Fonville and Owensville were names highly considered for the town, yet the citizens found the name Sharon to best fit the new town. It is believed that the name Sharon was chosen by the conductor of the first train after the wild flowers that grew abundantly in the region, they were called The Rose of Sharon . Sharon was incorporated as a town in 1901 and like most of the towns and cities in Weakley County it relied upon the railroad economically. Today, Sharon has a population of 1,047 (1990) and is the largest township in Weakley County – Courtesy of UT Martin Special Collections
Sharon, TN (1905) Fannie Cupp, was the operator for the local telephone exchange switchboard in Sharon. She is seen wearing her headset and sitting in front of the switchboard in 1905 – For the purpose of preserving Tennessee History this photograph is housed at the Tennessee State Library and Archives, Nashville, TN.
Confederate Civil War Veterans of Sharon seen assembled in Sharon in 1909